Connect with us

News

David Palacio’s bus driver to testify today against man accused of striking and killing him

Published

on

Joshua Block and his wife walking out of Onslow County Superior Court. [Gerald Jackson/News In Onslow]

The trial of the Texas native accused of killing 16-year old David Palacio, Joshua Aaron Block, who is charged with two felonies, involuntary manslaughter and passing a stopped school bus, will continue into its third day on Wednesday.

16-year-old, David Palacio

On the morning of March 27, 2017, David Palacio was crossing Dawson Cabin Road to board his school bus when Block, who was attempting to pass the bus, struck the teen.

On Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney, Jamie Askin made his opening statement, making sure to include that bus had its arms extended and stop sign out when Block who was traveling in the opposite direction at 56 MPH, struck Palacio.

The prosecution called their eyewitnesses to the stand throughout the day on Tuesday. The first witness to take the stand was 16-year old Cody Guidry, a former resident of Jacksonville who attended Dixon High School, was riding the bus on the day of the incident. He told the court that he was seated at the front of the bus when he heard a “thump.” At this point, Guidry said that he went to the other side of the bus and seen David lying in the road.

The second witness for the prosecution said that he was behind the school bus, which was a complete stop. Two cars were approaching from the opposite direction, the witness said he then checked his phone, turned his head and then heard a loud boom. According to the witness, people in the neighborhood were running out of their homes yelling “OMG.” He also said that Block did not slow down.

David was in his driveway when the bus came to a complete stop, this, again, was according to the proesectutions second witness. He started approaching the bus but the witness was not sure if the bus driver signaled to David that it was safe to cross.

Later, his testimony started to become inconsistent with the written statements he gave to law enforcement. He could not remember what statement he gave first telling Block’s Defense Attorney, Ed Bailey, that he wrote the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office statement first before writing the statement for N.C. Highway Patrol.

A paramedic who responded to the call on March 27, 2017, Alex Tremaine, testified for the prosecution and said that the call came in roughly after 6:30 a.m. His shift started around 6:20 a.m. When he arrived on the scene, he stated that he saw a man holding Palacio in the roadway and begging them for help. That man was Joshua Block. The Onslow County Paramedic continued, detailing the injuries that Palacio sustained, and one in particular, “open fractures”, was questioned by the prosecution. Tremain explained that you could see where Palacio’s bones had been broken.

The bus driver of bus 104 is expected to testify Today, December 13.

 

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Wilfred

    January 5, 2018 at 5:23 am

    Hello. magnificent job. I did not expect this. This is a great story. Thanks!

  2. check this out

    May 30, 2018 at 3:28 pm

    OIjGXW Thank you ever so for you article post.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

President Trump rumored to visit New Bern, NC Wednesday

Published

on

The 45th President of The United States of America Donald Trump is scheduled to make an appearance in Eastern Carolina Wednesday.

According to the New York Post, President Trump will be surveying the destructive damage left by Hurricane Florence.

The exact locations Trump will visit were not immediately available but White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed Trump’s North Carolina visit.

President Trump issued a disaster declaration Sunday for several counties in North Carolina.

The order issued is for residents in the affected area to apply for federal funding.

Locals in New Bern tells News In Onslow that Trump is expected to be in Downtown New Bern and that his car landed in Cherry Point, North Carolina Monday evening.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

One dead in Bear Creek Road wreck

Published

on

One person is dead tonight in a Bear Creek Road wreck.

The name of the person killed has not been released. Officials say alcohol use, speed and water on the road was all factors.

The driver died at the scene.

This story is DEVELOPING and we will release more information as it becomes available.

Continue Reading

News

Public’s Safety suffering at the hands of Onslow County Government, lifts mandatory evacuation

Published

on

Onslow County, North Carolina Government is causing a lot of confusion on the public’s safety to return home after many fled the area from Hurricane Florence wrath. 

Top officials in North Carolina including Governor Roy Cooper have told those who fled the state to stay where they are because it is not safe to return, but Onslow County Manager David Cotton said otherwise.

David Cotton said in an EOC(Emergency Operations Center) update Monday morning that evacuees from Onslow County will be able to return Tuesday, September 12, at 8:00 A.M.

Robin Knapp, an Onslow County Commissioner does not agree with Cotton’s decision and is urging evacuees to not return to Onslow County because it is not safe.

“We are not completely done with flooding and if it continues to rain, we will see an INCREASE in flooding. So, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE AN ATTEMPT,” he said in a Facebook post. (He deleted the below post).

Robin Knapp deeming it is not safe to return to Jacksonville before he deleted the post.

While the roads in and around Onslow County are still flooded and dangerous, many will lose resources and reimbursement due to the decision to lift the mandatory evacuation.

Routes back into Onslow County has not yet been decided.

Some in the area are worried that they will lose their eligibility for disaster relief funding through certain avenues, and employers will demand employees to show for work, and Fema has already begun denying applicants in Onslow County to receive help.

If you plan on traveling back soon; be mindful that rivers around Eastern North Carolina will crest which may result in the available passable routes today to become impassable in the next few days. You are also asked to bring back supplies that will last for 7 days.

Onslow County remains under a flash flood warning until 12:30 P.M. Tuesday.

Us here at News In Onslow responded to the confusion below:

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending