ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis grand jury on Thursday indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge for allegedly taking a compromising photo of a woman with whom he had an affair in 2015. The Republican governor responded that he made a mistake but committed no crime.
St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner launched an investigation in January after Greitens admitted to an affair with his St. Louis hairdresser that began in March 2015. He was elected governor in November 2016.
Thursday’s indictment was followed with an announcement by House Republican leaders that they were forming a group of lawmakers to investigate the charges “and answer the question as to whether or not the governor can lead our state while a felony case moves forward.”
In a statement following the indictment , the Republican governor was defiant and attacked the prosecutor who brought the charge.
“As I have said before, I made a personal mistake before I was Governor,” he said. “I did not commit a crime. With today’s disappointing and misguided political decision, my confidence in our prosecutorial system is shaken, but not broken. I know this will be righted soon. The people of Missouri deserve better than a reckless liberal prosecutor who uses her office to score political points.”
Greitens’ attorney, in a separate statement, called the indictment “baseless and unfounded.”
“In 40 years of public and private practice, I have never seen anything like this,” attorney Edward L. Dowd Jr. said.
Gardner’s spokeswoman, Susan Ryan, responded: “Despite the Governor’s personal attacks, the Circuit Attorney believes the courtroom is the appropriate place to argue the facts, not the media.”
Greitens’ legal team immediately filed a motion to dismiss the indictment on the grounds that any relationship with the woman was consensual.
Some lawmakers renewed suggestions that Greitens should consider resigning, as they had done when the affair first become public last month.
Democratic state Sen. Jamilah Nasheed of St. Louis called for an impeachment process to begin immediately.
“Gov. Greitens has to go,” Nasheed said. “Missourians thought they voted for a person of character and integrity, and instead they got a liar and alleged criminal.”
Any impeachment process must begin in the House with an investigation.
The joint statement from House Speaker Todd Richardson, Speaker Pro Tem Elijah Haahr and Majority Leader Rob Vescovo did not specifically mention impeachment while noting that they were initiating an investigation.
The indictment states that on March 21, 2015, Greitens photographed a woman identified only by her initials “in a state of full or partial nudity” without her knowledge or consent. The indictment said Greitens “transmitted the image contained in the photograph in a manner that allowed access to that image via a computer.”
In 2015, the woman told her husband, who was secretly taping the conversation, that Greitens took the compromising photo of her at his home and threatened to use it as blackmail if she spoke about the affair.
The penalty for first-degree invasion of privacy in Missouri is a sentence of up to four years behind bars.
Greitens was taken into custody in St. Louis and released on his own recognizance. He is due in court for his first hearing on March 16, before Circuit Judge Rex Burlison.
Greitens has repeatedly denied blackmailing the woman, but has repeatedly refused to answer questions about whether he took a photo.
The indictment came about a month before the statute of limitations would have run out. The statute of limitations for invasion of privacy in Missouri is three years.
Ryan, asked if additional charges could be filed, said the matter is still under investigation. Several lawmakers were questioned last week by investigators from Gardner’s office.
Greitens, the 43-year-old father of two young boys, came into office as a political outsider, a brash Rhodes Scholar and Navy SEAL officer who was wounded in Iraq, emerging as the winner in a crowded and expensive GOP primary.
A former boxer and martial arts expert, he has embraced the role of maverick. He responded to a Democratic attack ad in the fall of 2016 with one of his own in which he fired more than 100 rounds from a machine gun as an announcer declared he’d bring out “the big guns” to fight Democratic policies championed by then-President Barack Obama.
Greitens surprised many experts by defeating Democratic Attorney General Chris Koster in the November 2016 election. Some saw him as a rising Republican star with potential presidential aspirations.
But governing hasn’t always been easy, even though Republicans now control both houses as well as the governor’s mansion. Greitens and GOP lawmakers have often clashed, with him comparing some to third-graders and labeling them “career politicians.”
He has also faced questions about so-called “dark money” campaign contributions and criticism for stacking the state board of education. His use of a secretive app that deletes messages is under investigation by Republican Attorney General Josh Hawley.
Greitens’ charity, The Mission Continues, faced scrutiny during the campaign when Democrats accused him of insider politics for accessing the donor list to raise about $2 million through its top contributors.
Man who killed Sheldon Prawl in 2013 will spend nearly 50 years in prison
“Sheldon tried to kill my sister,” Carleton Davis said to Prawl’s mother Beverly Daley as she read her impact statement to the court.
“I have not only lost one child but two children, and if it was up to me, Davis and Cheri would receive the death penalty,” Daley said.
It took two weeks of trial and nearly 6 hours total of deliberation for a jury to convict 38-year-old Carleton Davis in the death of Sheldon Prawl.
Today, Carleton Davis, 38, was found guilty of second-degree murder and felony concealment of death. Judge Imelda Pate told Davis that he would spend nearly 50 years in prison. He was sentenced to serve a total of 38-to-48 years in prison. Davis killed Sheldon Prawl in 2013 and put his remains in two-cement filled foot lockers outside a house in Detroit, Michigan. Police later found Prawl’s body after a neighbor reported a bad odor coming from the backyard.
Davis sister Cheri Davis, has also been charged in the case. She was the girlfriend of Prawl. She has been charged with felony destruction of bodily remains to conceal a death, felony conspiracy, felony accessory after the fact, and felony common law obstruction of justice and she is out of jail on bond.
Here’s what Carleton Davis had to say to the court before his sentencing BELOW:
Stay tuned to NewsInOnslow.com for all the latest.
Man accused of killing Sheldon Prawl in 2013 won’t testify, evidence is circumstantial
A man accused of killing Sheldon Prawl in 2013 will not testify in his murder trial.
Carleton Davis, 38, of Georgia, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 23-year-old Sheldon Prawl.
In court, Assistant District Attorney Mike Maultsby said that Prawl was last seen on Halloween in 2013 and, shortly thereafter, 35-year-old Cheri Lee Davis, Carleton Davis‘ sister, reported him missing. Prawl’s body was found in Detroit, Michigan dismembered in two separate containers filled with cement on May 30, 2014.
In the States closing argument Wednesday afternoon, they spoke about the relationship between Davis and Richard Jackson, who lived next door to the home Prawl’s body was found. Jackson and Davis were pulled over in Brunswick County in 2014 on unrelated drug and gun charges.
“The case is a circumstantial evidence case. The circumstances, in this case, proves without a reasonable doubt that the defendant killed Sheldon Pawl,” Maultsby told the jury.
Maultsby talked about how Prawl and his mother Beverly Daley spoke every other day and on October 31, 2013, she received a text message from Prawl’s phone saying “Travel, talk to you soon.” Davis said in her testimony that she gave it a few days before she contacted Cherri Davis, Prawl’s girlfriend on November 2, begging her to make a report to the police about her son missing.
In the state’s closing argument, Maultsby told the jury that “Carleton Davis had a motive to end the life of Sheldon Prawl because he did not like what he did to his sister.” It took the state 58 minutes to argue their closing to the jury and the defense will argue their closing at 1:30 PM Wednesday afternoon.
District Attorney Earnie Lee receives case about officer who used ‘excessive force’ against Anthony Wall in Warsaw
“No Justice, No Peace” is what Onslow County District Attorney Earnie Lee will hear if he does not indict the officer who ‘excessively with force’ arrested Anthony Wall in Warsaw, North Carolina on May 4, 2018.
Anthony Wall, 22, of Fayetteville was at Waffle House after taking his 16-year-old sister to prom in Warsaw, North Carolina when he was choked and slammed by Officer Frank Moss. It’s unknown why Officer Moss used such aggressive force against the 22-year-old, but I guess it’s better than the officer pulling out his gun and killing Wall.
Officer Moss has a history of abusing and terrorizing black families in Warsaw, North Carolina for years. If you look at how big Officer Moss is and look how small Anthony Wall is, there’s no way Moss couldn’t have subdued Wall without choking him.
District Attorney Earnie Lee said on Tuesday that the investigation into whether Officer Moss used ‘excessive force’ or not is in his hands.
Lee said the report was received from N.C. State Bureau of Investigation regarding the controversial arrest of Anthony Wall. The evidence will be reviewed and a decision afterward.
One of Wall’s attorney, Benjamin Crump said Wall’s arrest was a “gross violation of his civil and human rights.” Wall is also represented by Fayetteville lawyer Allen Rogers.
The whole world will be watching District Attorney Earnie Lee’s office, and his decision could impact his career for the good or bad.
News1 week ago
Teen who killed Onslow County deputy will NOT get a bond reduction, facing CAPITAL MURDER
News1 week ago
Woman tried to steal two sexual toys from Priscilla McCall’s
News1 week ago
BREAKING NEWS: Local dead beat pastor arrested after not paying $100,000 in back child support
News1 week ago
Roses in Jacksonville reportedly closed due to rat infestation
News1 week ago
WTF!?! Father of Dixon HS student killed in March charged with sexually assaulting a teen
News1 week ago
Onslow County deputy charged with possessing child porn was still able to perform duties before arrest
News1 week ago
Sleazebag Mike McHugh quits Jacksonville Daily News
News6 days ago
SEX OFFENDER SUNDAY: Jason Byron Shupe, convicted of soliciting 15-year-old for sex and molesting daughter