News

‘Mass chaos’ in florida as 19-year-old former student attack Stoneman Douglas High School

17 dead in Florida High School shooting

HERE’S WHAT WE KNOW: UPDATE (8:40 P.M.)

  • At least 17 people have been killed and a further 15 have been injured in a school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Three injured victims are in critical conditions.
  •  19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, a former student at the school, has been identified the main suspect for the incident, and has been placed in custody by local authorities.
  • Of the 17 victims that have died, 12 were killed inside the classrooms that Cruz attacked, two died outside the classrooms on school campus, one died at an intersection down the road from the school, and two passed away at hospital as a result of their injuries.
  • Cruz set off the school’s fire alarms and used smoke grenades before firing an AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle with “countless” magazines of ammunition throughout the hallways and classrooms in the freshman block of the school.
  • Cruz tried to escape the scene by “blending in” with students fleeing the school, but was stopped and handcuffed by local authorities about 1.5km away from the school.
  • The shooting occurred on Wednesday afternoon local time.
  • Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that at least 17 students are dead from Stoneman Douglas High School.
  • The gunman is identified as former student Nicolas Cruz, 19
  • Students are now safe, some witnessed “motionless bodies” as they walked past

8:14 P.M.-Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will be closed for the remainder of the week, while all other school activities are also cancelled.

8:08 P.M.-Authorities have already started dissecting Cruz’s social media accounts – and reported that some of things he had been posting was “very disturbing”..

Nicolas Cruz

7:02 P.M.-Medical officials from the Broward Health System confirmed two of their patients passed away due to their wounds, three victims are in critical condition, while three are in a stable condition.

19-year-old Nicolas Cruz, was reportedly wearing a gas mask, captured by police at a house barely a kilometer away from Stoneman Douglas High School. The shooting happened shortly before dismissal time.

“There are fatalities involved here,” school superintendent Robert Runcie said.
“It’s just a horrible day for us.”

Florida senator Bill Nelson told local media earlier that “many people have been killed.”

Students hid in a closet at the school when the shooting started. One student say “All of a sudden there was a really loud noise…people are crying in the closet.”

Teachers quickly rushed students out of the school. Many students told their parents and the media that as they walked by, they witnessed people on the ground “motionless”, apparently dead.

An anonymous student told one local media outlet that at first students thought it was a fire drill because they had heard fire alarms going off. Others said they thought it was balloons popping, as many students had them to mark Valentine’s Day. The shooter was described as wearing a black hat, a maroon or burgundy shirt and black pants. 

Footage showed police putting a person in the back of a police car outside of the high school.

Officials say, Police with guns swarmed the school shortly before school let out. The school was on lock down as students fled, carrying their bags. Some students were seen lined up in a single file, leaving the area in a nice and orderly fashion and others were hysterical.

President Donald Trump spoke with Florida Governor Rick Scott earlier today, according to a tweet.

 

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top