Connect with us

News

Onslow County citizens want sleazebag Board of Education member Jonathan Merritt out after recent arrest

Published

on

A DRUNK and his DOG strikes again but this time the DOG has been KILLED!!!

An Onslow County Board of Education Member and writer for Elliot Potter of “The Raiford Brown Show” who owns the “Onslow Chronicle” has been charged again but this time alcohol was not involved.

Jonathan Andrew Merritt, 36, of Richlands was arrested Thursday, May 24, and charged with failure to precaution against dangerous dogs, attack by a dangerous dog, two counts of failure of owner to control animals and failure to provide a rabies vaccination tag after his dog attacked a 10-year-old boy.

Authorities say this isn’t the first time the sleazebag dog has attacked. Officials say Merritt signed a document agreeing that he would keep his dog on his property or leashed at all times eight months ago after his dog attacked a woman. Merritt violated that legal court document when his dog was running loose moments before he attacked a 10-year-old boy Wednesday. According to the victim’s mother, Merritt’s dog grabbed her son in their driveway as he was leaving for school on Wednesday, May 23.

The boy had to be rushed to the hospital where he received several stitches and one of the dog’s tooth had to be removed from his arm. Eight months ago, another neighbor of Merritt’s said the same dog attacked her in October. She described the incident saying Merritt’s dog “started jumping up and biting my arm and then I was trying to get across their yard and it got me down in the ditch and it just started nipping at me wherever it could and it went for my throat,” the neighbor said.

Photos of the dog bites the boy suffered along with the tooth from the dog.

In March of 2017, the sleazebag was charged with driving while impaired and refused to resign his position after receiving a letter of censure against him. Merritt admitted in a statement he released last year that alcohol is a problem that he faces, but despite his issues, he would not be stepping down.

In a letter of censure sent to Merritt, it states that in September of 2016, Merritt’s alcohol problem was “addressed verbally and communicated by letter.”Merritt’s presence at Board of Education meetings has been documented that the “odor of alcohol” has been on his breath. At the time of the incident, Merritt admitted to having “3 or 4 beers at a local bar and restaurant before the meeting.”

Merritt’s letter of censure (1 of 2)

Merritt’s letter of censure (2 of 2)

Merritt’s wife, Mary Stone Merritt, in (photo above) said that her husband “has made sure that your kids and grand-kids don’ have to be thought about sex and homosexual and other things. He has sat down with principals and teachers to see what they really need. You have no clue who my husband is and what kind of person he really is,” she said in a Facebook comment.

Social Media has been in an uproar since the criminal’s recent arrest Thursday, and they are all calling for his resignation.

Merritt has been in hiding since his arrest but the question is, Will Jonathan Merritt resign as an Onslow County Board of Education Member?

The next Board of Education meeting is June 5, 2018. 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Owner of Elite Tattoo Gallery in Jacksonville is accused of scamming tattoo artists across country

Published

on

The owner of Elite Tattoo Gallery in Jacksonville, North Carolina will soon have to answer to a lawsuit after she allegedly scammed dozens of tattoo artists out of thousands of dollars after she canceled an event.

In a Facebook post by Bryan Thomas, a victim of the alleged scam said Wednesday that in March of this year he signed up for an educational tattoo seminar called “The Impact Project.” Thomas said a ticket to the event cost him $1,600. He received an email earlier Wednesday about the event canceling, and there will be no refunds.

The event is an Indianapolis event organized by local Jacksonville Elite Tattoo Gallery owner, Melissa Ferranto.

According to the Impact Project website, the four-day conference was supposed to be held at the downtown Hilton in September, so artists could collaborate and learn how to best run a successful business.

Impact Project flyer.

Tattoo artists say they received an email Wednesday that “the event and all future events are canceled indefinitely due to unforeseen tragic matters and extreme circumstances. The funds for the ticket sales have been used for the forward progression of the conference” and says they cannot refund any tickets.

READ EMAIL BELOW: 

Email artists received.

Many of the artists say they have contacted their financial institution to dispute the charges, but some are way out of the time frame they can file a dispute.

Fox59 in Indianapolis spoke with a local tattoo artist who said “everything looked real and legit,” but that all changed the night he received an email about the event canceling and that there would be no refunds. (click HERE for their story)

News In Onslow reached out to Melissa Ferranto and she released this statement to us BELOW:

Dear Colleagues, I want to start out by apologizing for the delay in getting this email sent. Please don’t mistake the delay in communication for a lack of concern for what has transpired. We care deeply about each person that has been negatively affected by cancellation of the event.

My intention is to be completely forthright about why the event was cancelled and all other relevant matters. However, instead of providing a piecemeal explanation at this time, I have been advised to wait until I can provide a thorough statement, including an accounting of funds and a final resolution.

Please rest assured that we are working diligently on a remedy. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I send out my sincerest apologies to everyone involved.

Sincerely,

Melissa Ferranto Representative of the Impact Project, Elite Tattoo Gallery and Body Piercing Studio, LLC

Ferranto told News In Onslow that she is represented by an attorney.

Continue Reading

News

Man who killed Sheldon Prawl in 2013 will spend nearly 50 years in prison

Published

on

“Sheldon tried to kill my sister,” Carleton Davis said to Prawl’s mother Beverly Daley as she read her impact statement to the court. 

“I have not only lost one child but two children, and if it was up to me, Davis and Cheri would receive the death penalty,” Daley said.

It took two weeks of trial and nearly 6 hours total of deliberation for a jury to convict 38-year-old Carleton Davis in the death of Sheldon Prawl. 

Today, Carleton Davis, 38, was found guilty of second-degree murder and felony concealment of death. Judge Imelda Pate told Davis that he would spend nearly 50 years in prison. He was sentenced to serve a total of 38-to-48 years in prison. Davis killed Sheldon Prawl in 2013 and put his remains in two-cement filled foot lockers outside a house in Detroit, Michigan. Police later found Prawl’s body after a neighbor reported a bad odor coming from the backyard. 

Davis sister Cheri Davis, has also been charged in the case. She was the girlfriend of Prawl. She has been charged with felony destruction of bodily remains to conceal a death, felony conspiracy, felony accessory after the fact, and felony common law obstruction of justice and she is out of jail on bond. 

Here’s what Carleton Davis had to say to the court before his sentencing BELOW:

Stay tuned to NewsInOnslow.com for all the latest.

Continue Reading

News

Man accused of killing Sheldon Prawl in 2013 won’t testify, evidence is circumstantial

Published

on

A man accused of killing Sheldon Prawl in 2013 will not testify in his murder trial.

Carleton Davis, 38, of Georgia, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 23-year-old Sheldon Prawl.

In court, Assistant District Attorney Mike Maultsby said that Prawl was last seen on Halloween in 2013 and, shortly thereafter, 35-year-old Cheri Lee Davis, Carleton Davis‘ sister, reported him missing. Prawl’s body was found in Detroit, Michigan dismembered in two separate containers filled with cement on May 30, 2014.

In the States closing argument Wednesday afternoon, they spoke about the relationship between Davis and Richard Jackson, who lived next door to the home Prawl’s body was found. Jackson and Davis were pulled over in Brunswick County in 2014 on unrelated drug and gun charges.

“The case is a circumstantial evidence case. The circumstances, in this case, proves without a reasonable doubt that the defendant killed Sheldon Pawl,” Maultsby told the jury. 

Maultsby talked about how Prawl and his mother Beverly Daley spoke every other day and on October 31, 2013, she received a text message from Prawl’s phone saying “Travel, talk to you soon.” Davis said in her testimony that she gave it a few days before she contacted Cherri Davis, Prawl’s girlfriend on November 2, begging her to make a report to the police about her son missing. 

In the state’s closing argument, Maultsby told the jury that “Carleton Davis had a motive to end the life of Sheldon Prawl because he did not like what he did to his sister.” It took the state 58 minutes to argue their closing to the jury and the defense will argue their closing at 1:30 PM Wednesday afternoon. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending